10 Reasons to Choose Amazon’s Wedding Registry
We did the research to save you the time and effort. Here’s a breakdown:
1. World’s Largest Selection
As I said above, Amazon offers just about everything you could think of to add to your wedding registry. They tout themselves as having the world’s largest selection. Pretty much every brand or item that could fall under the following category is available: housewares, hobby, tools, luggage, games, camping equipment, holiday décor, and nick-nacks (not an official category name).
2. Universal Registry Capability
If by chance Amazon doesn’t stock an item that you would like include on your wedding registry list, they do offer a universal registry capability.
3. Customer Reviews
Amazon’s huge database of customer recommendation and rating scale is handy to have at your disposal. And since Amazon is such a popular online store, you can really get an accurate sense of whether or not certain products/sellers are good by simply reading reviews.
It’s always important to do your own research and homework on products that you are interested in buying, but if your decision is a toss up between model variations (and many reviews are indicating a certain model to buy), then it probably is correct!
4. Completion Gift
Amazon offers couples a one time 10% discount (20% off if you are a Amazon Prime member)on select items from your registry after your wedding. So, just in case a few gifts are missed on your list, and you still *really really* want them, you can complete the registry and treat yourself to a nice discount up to 90 days after your wedding.
5. Free Shipping
All wedding gifts ordered from Amazon registries are eligible for free two-day shipping for Amazon Prime member and free shipping on eligible items that are over $49 for non members. Seeing how the average wedding gift is $50 for distant friends and family, and $75-$150 for dear friends and relatives, it looks like most of your guests will qualify for free shipping!
6. Bonus Gift
Who doesn’t love a free gift with purchase? You could be eligible to receive a free bonus gift(s) when you select items from participating vendors are purchased off your registry. Check out all the available bonus gifts you could be receiving here.
7. Thank-you Tracking
Another handy feature is Amazon’s ability to keep track of all the gift buyer’s details. You will be able to see who purchased the item, their address, along with the gift they purchased. You’ll still have to keep your own list when opening all the gifts because not everyone will buy off the registry list. However, this feature does make a great reference point in case cards fall off gifts, get mixed up in a pile, and you don’t know who gave you a certain present.
8. Free Returns for 180 Days
Amazon knows that it takes time to get organized after the chaos of planning a wedding. They kindly extend their normal 30 day return policy to 180 days for any item fulfilled by Amazon purchased off your wedding registry.
9. Gift Financing
If you are fortunate to have a loved one who is planning on buying you a higher priced item, Amazon offers financing options for up to 24 months through their store card.
10. Free to Signup!
How to Signup for Amazon’s Wedding Registry
Step 1 – Amazon Account
If you don’t already have an Amazon account, you must first sign up for one. This is very straight forward process where you add your name, email address and password.
Step 2 – Wedding Registry Creation
The second step is to create your Amazon wedding registry. After clicking “Create Wedding Registry” you will be prompted through the following three pages:
- About You
- Your Wedding
- Your Privacy
Here is how to fill in the those pieces of information
- First enter your full names and include your positions (i.e., Bride, Groom, or Partner)
- Next you will be asked to check off whether or not you would like to invite your partner to edit your registry. Don’t forget to check this option, unless of course your partner has given you free reign and doesn’t want to be included in this process. I would highly doubt this is the case — Hello?! Gifts that you have chosen for yourself, who wouldn’t want to be included!
- Finally, you will need to add the primary address to where the gifts should be sent. Tip: Amazon doesn’t offer the service to hold gifts at this time. If you are going to be away on your honeymoon and unable to accept packages, you might consider having gifts sent to a friend or relatives address so they can accept and hold the packages until you return.
- The fourth and final task on this page is to check off whether or not you would like Amazon to give third-party sellers your address. Which means that many products on Amazon are actually sold through third-parties. You can find out more about it here.
Keep in mind that not all items can be shipped internationally. If your registry has an international shipping address (anywhere outside the US) your guests will be notified if the order they have placed cannot be shipped to that address.
Also, note that some items may become unavailable from the 3rd party seller from the time you add the time to your registry and when a guests actually buys. You should regularly updating your registry so that all items are available.
- Enter your wedding date
- Enter your wedding location
- You can also enter the number of guests attending, but this is an optional choice.
- Another great benefit is that you can tell your guests you are going green! I know that it’s super fun to unwrap presents like it’s Christmas morning, but if you’d rather save a tree or two, choose to tell your guests that you would prefer no gift wrap. Of course, it is entirely up to your guests whether they listen or not.
Step 4 – Registry Privacy Settings
There are 3 visibility settings to choose from when setting up your registry. You can update this information at any time.
- Anyone can see this Wedding Registry: If you are counting on a complete stranger stumbling upon your registry and buying you a gift, than by all means choose this setting. This is also a good option to choose if you know that some of your parents’ friends/neighbors who aren’t invited to the wedding, but may want to send a gift anyways.
- Only people with a link can see this Wedding Registry: If you are private person and would like your event to be kept on the down low, this would be the better option to select.
- Only you can see this Wedding Registry: This is the best option to choose when initially building out your fantastic wish list. You can opt to change to one of the other privacy settings once complete.
Privacy Settings: There are also privacy checkbox settings.
- Include registry in search result on The Knot.com: To select this option, your registry must first be visible to everyone. Amazon.com has teamed with theKnot.com and WeddingChannel.com, to enable your registry showing up on those sites as well. This is supposedly to help guests find your registry more easily. Although, I think if your guests already have the link, they will be able to find you just fine.
- Signing up for email updates with regards to your status of your registry. Checking this box will give you email updates when a gift has been purchased.
- Signing up to receive product offers and discounts. This options is more for Amazon to have your email address for future marketing. Unless you want a potentially bloated inbox, I would just leave this box unchecked.
Step 5 – Add Gifts to Your Registry
The fun part – adding gifts!
Amazon makes it really easy for you to shop online and find the products you want. The more difficult part is not adding absolutely everything to your registry.
If you don’t already have a list of gifts in mind, you can use the suggested categories to shop by:
- Registry Favorites
- Popular Wedding Gifts
- Store Brands
- Gift Cards
Once you have found the item that you would like, add the quantity and then click Add to Registry, like the picture below.
What Else Can I Do With My Amazon Registry?
Do you have a few gifts on your registry that you need more than others? Let guests know by setting the priority on those items to say High Priority as seen in the photo below. Once you set a priority, your guests will be able to see which gifts are top on your wish list.
You can add comments to each product for guests to read. This is a fun way to tell your guestswhy you might need a certain item and how it will come in handy in the future.
And here is what your guests will see:
Add a personal touch to your wedding registry by uploading a small profile photo and change the cover photo.
You can even personalize the end of your wedding registry URL by entering a unique combination title that you would like. For example, MelinaAndSavas.
Your wedding registry can easily be shared by through your personal networks such as: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or even email.
Or you can embed your wedding registry on your website with a provided HTML code.
Amazon Wedding Registry Pros & Cons
- Largest online selection of brands and items
- Ability to add items to your registry from a variety of online retailers through Universal Capabilities tool
- Free shipping available
- Helpful customer reviews and user submitted questions and answers
- Gift certificates are accepted on registries
- Free returns of gifts; the gift giver wont know the gift was returned
- Ability to add comments and set a priority for each item
- Amazon doesn’t offer holding gifts at this time
- If an order is placed with a third party seller, returns and customer service are handled by that seller. In that case, you must contact your gift giver to initiate the return
- Not all items can be shipped internationally
- Can’t walk into a store to see the actual item you are buying
- Some items may become “unavailable” from the 3rd party seller, so you will need to regularly check your registry
- If a guest buys something from somewhere else, you need to find out that retailer’s return policy. Some only give in-store credit and must be returned in person
Thanks for taking the time to read through our massive Amazon wedding registry review. We hope you found it helpful! If you like the looks of their service, then go signup and add a few items to your own Amazon registry.